Walther Farms is a 3rd generation family-owned business headquartered in Southwestern Michigan. Beginning in the 1940’s, the company expanded from a few vegetable acres to what is now 13,000 acres of commercial and seed potatoes grown throughout the United States for the potato chip and fresh table markets. Our farms are located throughout Michigan, Indiana, Nebraska, Georgia, and South Carolina. For more information about Walther Farms, please visit our website: www.waltherfarms.com
- Measures harvest yield and quality against forecast.
- Trains Field Managers on crop scouting for weeds, insects and diseases and schedules irrigation for optimal field yield. Inspects fields no less than weekly during growing season, playing an active role in scheduling/planning of several key activities.
- Measures and monitors quality control of product during seed receiving and seed preparation activities, planting and harvesting. Provides recommendations for cover crops, fall tillage and fumigation.
- Assists with data collection of petioles, stem counts, seed size distribution and planter performance and makes recommendations based on data collection. Assists with assessment of yield and quality of sugars, size profiles and defects.
- Responsible for ensuring all applicable data is input into data management software: this includes field scouting reports, chemical application records, irrigation records, fumigation activity, etc..
- Assists with selecting fertilizer and chemicals needs for operation. Monitors chemical inventories, orders products and coordinates with custom applicators.
- Assists with and monitors the calibration of key application equipment.
- Maintains Agronomy Handbook to include Standard Operating Procedures and chemical and fertilizer recipes.
- Responsible for Global GAP Certification
- Evaluates prospective new farming areas by reviewing soil tests and irrigation water availability. Calculates seed warm up plans according to dormancy of seed and target plant date.
- Leads variety and other crop trials. Responsible for coordinating trials with operations team, actively collecting data, and preparing extensive summary reports for both internal and external distribution.
Skills & Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of 2 years Agronomist or farm experience.
- Extensive knowledge in plant and soil science
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products to include PowerPoint, Access, Word and Excel, Outlook.
- Proficient in mapping and geographic analysis application
- Able to provide general direction to various team members
- Able to work in a team environment and possess excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with MapInfo GIS software
- Experience in the potato industry
- Bachelors Degree in Plant or Soil Science or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid driver’s license
Masters Degree in Crop Physiology, Plant or Social Science or related field